How to use a Weighted Hula Hoop
A weighted hula hoop is a great tool for getting a full body workout while having fun. It's a simple, low-impact way to tone your core, abs, legs, and even your back. However, if you're new to hula hooping, it can be a bit overwhelming trying to figure out how to use one. In this blog post, we'll go over the basics of using a weighted hula hoop and give you some tips to help you get started.
Before you start
How to start hula hooping
How to assemble your weighted hula hoop
Before you start...
Before you start, you will need to choose the right weighted hula hoop for you. The size, weight and type of hoop differ.
- Start with the right size hoop: It's important to find a hoop that is the right size for your body. A hoop that is too small will be difficult to keep spinning, while a hoop that is too large will be unwieldy. A good rule of thumb is to choose a hoop that is about waist-size.
- Get the right weight: Weighted hula hoops come in a variety of weights, so it's important to choose one that is appropriate for your fitness level. Start with a lighter weight and work your way up as your strength and endurance improves.
How to start hula hooping
Wear comfortable clothing with trainers. Find an open and safe space for you to hoop in and follow these step by steps to hula hooping.
- Hold the hoop level with both hands, keeping two links pressed up against your lower back. Place your feet hip-distance apart and step forward with one foot, about 10 cm (four inches). Stand up straight and soften your knees slightly so your body feels stable, balanced and relaxed.
- Still standing up straight and keeping the Powerhoop level, feed the hoop across the abdominal muscles in the same direction as your forward foot. Speed is important so give it a good push. Move your hips forward and back (not side-to-side) to keep the hoop spinning. Tighten your abs and "push" against the impact of the hoop with your tummy.
- Stop your hoop, switch the position of your feet, and hoop in the opposite direction. That may seem difficult at first, but for balanced training it's very important to use your hoop for equal time in both directions. Hooping builds abdominal muscle quickly; if you don't hoop both ways you might actually notice that you have become firmer and slimmer on one side of your body!
- Incorporate different moves: Once you've mastered the basic spin, try incorporating different moves, including rotating your body direction, stepping forward or sideways whilst hooping. Each move targets different muscle groups and will give you a full-body workout.
- Practice regularly: Like any new skill, the key to getting better at using a weighted hula hoop is practice. Try to incorporate hula hooping into your regular exercise routine, even if it's just for a few minutes a day.
- Join a class - Powerhoop have hooping classes all over the UK and rest of the world with professional instructors taking your through each class.
- Hoop online - Join Powerhoop TV, an on-demand hooping platdorm where you have unlimited access to hooping workouts.
- Have fun! Remember, hula hooping is a fun and enjoyable activity, so don't be afraid to experiment with different moves and styles. You'll be amazed at the results you can achieve with a little bit of practice and determination.
How to assemble your Weighted Hula Hoop
How long do I hula hoop for?
Use your hoop for no more than 3 minutes on the first day, and increase gradually as your muscles get stronger. Overuse can result in soreness, and even bruising.
- When starting out, you may find you get bruising on your abs, this is due to your body reacting to a new sensation. It is important to differentiate between new use and overuse;
- Overuse can result in soreness, and even bruising.
- We do not recommend using a weighted hoop for more than 15 minutes per session.
- Do not use weighted workout hoops while pregnant, or on blood-thinning medications, or if you have any injuries or health problems. Please check with your doctor if in doubt. Read more about hooping safety.