NOTE: Use your hoop for no more than 3 minutes on the first day, and increase gradually as your muscles get stronger. Overuse can result in soreness, and even bruising. Do not use weighted workout hoops while pregnant, or if you have any spinal injuries or health problems. Please check with your doctor if in doubt. Read more about hooping safety.
Let us show you why the Powerhoop is better than a Hula Hoop™...
Most new users are surprised to find that they can keep their Powerhoop in motion in just a few minutes. Why? Because the weight and large diameter make Powerhoops much, much easier to use than small, lightweight hoops. Think about it: If a hula hoop were only slightly bigger than your waist, how fast you would have to move to keep it spinning? The converse is also true; a large diameter allows for a slower, steady motion and the weight of the hoop increases the momentum needed to keep it going.
Use your Powerhoop for no more than one or two minutes on the first day, and increase gradually as your muscles get stronger.
Overuse can result in soreness, and even bruising. We do not recommend using a weighted hoop for more than 15 minutes per session. Do not use weighted hoops while pregnant or on blood-thinning medications, or if you have any injuries or health problems. Check with your doctor or physical therapist if in doubt.
How to set up the Weighted Hula Hoops
Take some measurements! Check out this tutorial on how to measure your body.
- Hold the hoop level with both hands, keeping two links pressed up against your lower back. Place your feet hip-distance apart and step forward with one foot, about 10 cm (four inches). Stand up straight and soften your knees slightly so your body feels stable, balanced and relaxed.
- Still standing up straight and keeping the Powerhoop level, feed the hoop across the abdominal muscles in the same direction as your forward foot. Speed is important so give it a good push. Move your hips forward and back (not side-to-side) to keep the hoop spinning. Tighten your abs and "push" against the impact of the hoop with your tummy.
- Stop your Powerhoop, switch the position of your feet, and hoop in the opposite direction. That may seem difficult at first, but for balanced training it's very important to use your hoop for equal time in both directions. Hooping builds abdominal muscle quickly; if you don't hoop both ways you might actually notice that you have become firmer and slimmer on one side of your body!
- A common mistake is launching the hula hoop at an angle. Stand straight and keep the hoop level when you set it in motion.
- Keep your speed up. Some people do fine for a few spins, reduce their speed, and watch the hoop tumble to the floor.
- There are certain body types that make hooping more difficult. If you are apple-shaped (your hips are smaller than your waist), it may take you longer to get the hang of hooping.
- If you begin to feel discouraged, take a break and try again in an hour or two. Sometimes a little "time out" is all that's needed.
How to join a Powerhoop gym class
Having lots of fun with your home workout? We have classes springing up all over the world: Find an instructor and join the fun!